Since 2004, we have worked to connect and involve medical professionals of Sri Lankan origin in the United States and Canada to reach specific charitable goals.
Our Mission is to bring together professionals and students in the medical and health care professions, who are of Sri Lankan origin or lineage living in America and Canada, for charitable and humanitarian purposes.
The Sri Lankan Medical Association of North America was established in 1996 in New Jersey by a group of medical professionals. Since then, it has grown to cover all regions of North America. SLMANA is now made up of two regional member associations, SLMANA East and West. These component Associations function under one umbrella and are governed by a Board of Directors, SLMANA INC.
What We've Achieved
We have raised and donated over half a million dollars since our inception.
- Major funding for Matara Hospital's (Project PEDS) new Pediatric Unit
- Contributed to Children’s Heart Project, Arizona/Sri Lanka
- Contributed to establish a pediatric cardiac unit in Colombo
- Distributed needed medical and surgical equipment to the Jaffna Hospital and to the Jaffna Medical School
- Refurbished the Colombo Medical School Library with brand new medical books
- Provided needed sustenance to struggling communities through the Kanda Project
- Provided equipment for a labor and delivery suite for a regional hospital in Chilaw
- Provided needed equipment to the Kurunegala Cancer Hospital
- Donated an Ultrasound machine and a Sonography Machine to the Colombo General Hospital
- Funded the Insulin Bank and Diabetic Clinic in Colombo
- Collected $50,000 for tsunami relief in collaboration with Sri Lanka Foundation to build homes for the victims
- Helped collect $200,000 for "Educate A Child" project in Sri Lanka